It is easy to indulge during the holidays. There are so many tasty dishes and family favorites it is easy to feel just a little stuffed all month long. One way to avoid that feeling, is to mix some lighter fare in between the main meals. That’s why we have collected a few lighter holiday suggestions like these tasty White Christmas Toasts to serve your guests and family throughout the holiday season. If you enjoy this dish, be sure to check out our Artichoke and Cannelloni Spread on Tiny Toast and Citrus Salmon Salad on Toast to add a lighter side to your holiday season.
Greet your guests with these pretty and tasty toasts. Simple to make, the fennel brings a distinctive flavor to each bite.
- 12 slices Rubschlager cocktail bread, we recommend the pumpernickel or the rye for this recipe, but any of the varieties work well.
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 24 slices of smoked whitefish or trout sliced thin and in a ribbon pattern
- 1 cup Crème fraiche
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped Fresh fennel fronds washed and drained. (Since you will have to buy the whole fennel bulb to get the fronds, use the bulbs to make this recipe and save the rest of the fennel for a vegetable soup.)
- 12 large caper berries, halved
- Juice of one half fresh lemon
Brush each slice with of bread with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper, then place in a single layer on baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes until crisp.
Remove bread from oven and let stand while preparing other components.
These toasts can be made up to three days ahead and held at room temp in an airtight container or ziploc bag.
Squeeze lemon half into small bowl. Remove any seeds.
Halve the caper berries and toss with the lemon juice.
Mix chopped fennel fronds into crème fraiche.
Place 2 slices of white fish on toasted Rubschlager cocktail bread.
Top with a dollop of crème fraiche and garnish with caper berry halves.
Make the holidays unique and special with our Personal Party Planning Collection. We understand that planning for your friends and family can be overwhelming and even stressful at times. Our three part party planning collection is meant to help you create the perfect gathering for your friends and family this holiday season. Download Part 1: The Casually Elegant Buffet for delicious recipes and tips that will help you plan your casual but elegant party without stress.
Look for the next two parts to our Party Planning Collection, coming soon.