From the recipe file of Linda Turner – Ontario, Canada
It seems that fans in Ontario, Canada go crazy for sports of any kind and per Linda, her family goes crazy for this recipe. Don’t be fooled by the deceptively mild appearance, it packs a lot of flavor.
- 1 loaf Rubschlager cocktail bread, rye or pumpernickel
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small sweet (Vidalia) onion, finely chopped or grated
- Garlic aioli – enough to bind ingredients, plus a little extra.
- 3-4 generous dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all the above ingredients (except for the extra aioli) and set aside.
Place bread slices on a cookie sheet and brush lightly with the reserved aioli on one side.
Place under broiler and until just lightly brown.
Turn the bread slices over and place a generous tablespoon of cheese-onion mixture on each slice of bread.
Return to broiler until they start to bubble and lightly brown.