Pickled herring is known for its distinctive flavor. The strong bite of the fish pairs well with onion and a slice of dark bread. It is often served as one of the choices on a Smorrebrod buffet.
Did you know that in addition to being a traditional Danish Christmas dish, it is also one of the twelve dishes traditionally served for Christmas Eve in in Poland, Lithuania, and Ukraine.
Here’s our simple Herring Smorrebrod recipe.
- 4 slices of Rubschlager Bread
- 1/2 tsp unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 8 pieces jarred pickled herring
- Thinly sliced red onion, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp Italian parsley, roughly chopped
Cut rye bread into a 3- by 5-inch rectangle.
Spread butter evenly on one side of bread.
Arrange pickled herring over butter, covering the surface evenly. Tuck red onion between the pieces of herring and garnish with parsley.
This recipe can be found in our Danish Christmas Holiday Planning Guide